This easy red cabbage slaw is the perfect vitamin-packed healthy side dish recipe! Fresh, colorful and rich in powerful antioxidants and fiber this vegetable side is a great way to enjoy red cabbage.
You can serve the red cabbage salad at dinner in many different ways. Serve with roast chicken, fish or make it a part of healthy vegan meals like these Mediterranean chickpea wraps.
If you want to lose weight, this red cabbage slaw is a more nutritious, lighter, low-calorie alternative to rice or quinoa in recipes. Made with a few simple and super cheap ingredients, this side dish salad with red cabbage comes together in about 5 minutes.
Red Cabbage Slaw Ingredients
Red cabbage. You can of course also use regular white or green cabbage, to me they taste the same and are both super nutritious! So whatever you have at home – use it to make this simple cabbage slaw.
Carrots. I happen to be mildly allergic to raw carrots, so enjoying this red cabbage slaw with carrots in it was a fun experience. My lip did swell from it a bit, so if you find Kylie Jenner’s tips on how to make your lips bigger already obsolete, this one’s for you. Can’t express how much I’m joking. Don’t do anything to your lips, please. Don’t eat food you’re allergic to either. I did, but as I mentioned – I’m mildly allergic, it’s a cross-reaction form my pollen allergy and after some light itchiness I always survive.
Garlic. You do not want to skip garlic in this or any salad. Fine, you might skip it, but it actually brings so much flavor to the whole thing. Plus it’s super healthy too!
Fresh herbs. You can go for fresh dill, basil, or cilantro. I just went with parsley, because it’s super fresh and what I love right now the most.
Apple Cider Vinegar. In fact, any type of vinegar or even lemon juice will be great for this red cabbage slaw.
Olive oil, salt and pepper. We need those to season the cabbage salad properly!
How To Make Red Cabbage Slaw
Well, once you’ve gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and work like there’s no tomorrow. For like 5 minutes, because that’s how long it takes to make this easy red cabbage slaw from scratch. Here’s what you need to do:
- Wash the cabbage, carrots, parsley and peel and mince the garlic.
- Chop the cabbage super thinly. When I make a cabbage recipe I actually always peel the head one leaf at a time. I feel like this helps to preserve the cabbage fresh for longer. It also allows me to cut out the tough parts on the leaves, which makes for a more tender salad.
- Grate the carrot and if it’s not organic – you can peel it before that and chop the parsley thinly.
- Add the thinly sliced red cabbage to a bowl. Then massage it with garlic, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Add in the carrots and parsley, toss well and let sit in the fridge for a bit while you’re preparing the rest of your dinner.
- Serve immediately!
What To Serve With
Here are some healthy ways that you can serve the red cabbage slaw at dinner:
- with grilled or roast chicken and hummus or tzatziki
- with salmon and mashed sweet potatoes
- in bowls like these
- in wraps like these
More Easy Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
I hope you enjoy this simple healthy vegetable side and if you do need more ideas, check out these recipes:
- 5-Minute Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 10-Minute Pan-Roasted Asparagus