Last updated on December 11th, 2020 at 08:23 am
Remember the days when nobody knew cauliflower was actually rice? When it was just a stinky vegetable nobody wanted to touch without gloves and disinfectant? Yeah, me neither. Today we’ll learn how to make cauliflower rice from scratch with this delicious cauliflower fried rice recipe! This is a healthy dinner idea that is a low-carb, vegetarian, gluten-free dairy-free recipe. And you get to eat so much cauliflower after making this easy cauliflower recipe!
Update Feb 2020: I’ve now made this cauliflower rice recipe again and again and last time took some new pictures, so some are updated. The recipe was originally published in August 29th 2019.
But first, let’s say a prayer for the cauliflower head that was sacrificed to make this tasty meal.
You will be missed. After all, you stayed in my fridge for a week before I knew what to do with you. We bonded. Then I saw you were expiring and I freaked out. Out of desperation, I decided to grate you, hoping you’ll resemble rice. That’s not to say you weren’t good enough on your own. You were, don’t ever let someone tell you you weren’t.
Now, it’s no secret I’ve not been the biggest cauliflower rice fan. But I made it 2 years ago for the first time and it wasn’t so bad.
This time…well, I added 3 cloves of garlic and it’s super good.
Is it better than takeout? Probably not.
But it’s still really, really good. And if you haven’t eaten rice or quinoa, like yesterday, you’d think it’s the best fried rice you’ve ever eaten.
How To Make Cauliflower Rice
The first thing you do is go to the store and check whether they already have cauliflower rice.
If they don’t – you sell half a liver on Ebay and then invest that money into an organic cauliflower head.
Then you have two options, depending on how much time and what equipment you have:
- no time + food processor
- time + a cheap grater
Well I wasn’t making this at home, so the food processor was nonexistent. I opted for the second option and well…
Grate as much as you can. You’ll know you’re ready when:
- you’re sweating profusely
- your hands are bleeding, because you grated a little bit off your finger
- your cauliflower starts competing with rice
Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
- Make your cauliflower rice using a food processor or a grater
- Chop the other vegetables
- In a non-stick skillet scramble the eggs
- Add the minced garlic
- Stir in the cauliflower rice and add soy or tamari sauce, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrot and scallion and stir for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add salt to taste and enjoy immediately.
- Make It Paleo: I used tamari sauce to make this cauliflower fried rice, but if you want to make this dish paleo – use coconut aminos, I’ve heard great things.
- Additions: I kept this recipe pretty simple and vegetarian, but you can also add in chicken breast or shrimp. Make sure to add and cook them before you add the cauliflower rice.
- Other vegetables: You can also add in other vegetables here as well. I usually like to use peas and broccoli in my fried rice recipes, but I felt with this much cauliflower this was enough.
I hope you enjoy this cauliflower fried rice if you decide to make it! Let me know if you have any questions and leave a comment whether it’s good or not!