Last updated on December 4th, 2022 at 02:41 pm
This healthy shredded chicken salad is easy, full of protein, fiber and vitamins and it’s so tasty! Dairy-free, gluten-free and packed with vegetables this is not your average chicken salad though. It’s so much healthier, fresh and flavorful.
You can make this shredded chicken salad ahead for the week, it makes the best healthy meal prep lunch that you can take to the office or to school, wherever you go. I promise you won’t need a nap or a chocolate bar after.
So if you’ve got some time, let’s make this healthy shredded chicken recipe right now!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Salad
I made this salad for lunch a while ago and wasn’t actually intending to share it when I was making it…But then when it was ready I looked at that salad and it hit me…”I’m eating a salad, I have to share it with the world”. Welcome to the 2020’s. Sad, but kinda true. Well, with a sprinkle of exaggeration and drama.
Fine, vanity and narcissism aside, there’s one more reason I decided to do the photoshoot. It was that I had a little taste of the salad and it was SO good. Crunchy, filling, full of flavor and yet light. And I knew it was super healthy because I had just made it.
I was actually going to put it in the clean eating recipe binder. But then I decided, I want everyone to try this tasty shredded chicken salad. Because it’s so much better and healthier than you’d expect it to be. It’s:
- flavorful and a bit spicy
- pretty easy to make
- good for meal prep
- great for lunch
Healthy Shredded Chicken Salad Ingredients
There are quite a few ingredients in this chicken salad, it’s not a short list, mkay? You don’t just put potatoes, mayonnaise and chicken and mix them together. Great, now everyone will realise I’ve never made a traditional salad with chicken. Here’s what you’ll need for this one:
- Shredded Chicken. You can use any type of cooked chicken, rotisserie will work too. I prefer poaching some boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast and shredding with two forks.
- Roasted Vegetables. Skip the sweet potatoes and just make the spicy cauliflower and the roasted peppers. You can also use roasted peppers from a jar if you want to speed things up.
- Salad Greens. I used one of those salad mixes with radicchio and lettuce and arugula. Not proud of that, but that’s what was available. You can use any greens you like – lettuce will work, cabbage will be good, kale or even some spinach. If it’s leafy and it’s green and edible – throw it in there.
- More Fresh Vegetables. Like cucumber, tomatoes, scallions and fresh basil.
- Spicy Cashew Dressing. I love this dressing. It’s pretty similar to this spicy cashew sauce. You’ll make it with soaked cashews, jalapenos, basil, tomatoes and garlic. It’s SO good!
How To Make A Healthy Shredded Chicken Salad
As the instructions for most salads go: Place everything into a bowl and toss. And this is exactly what you have to do to make this healthy chicken salad. But let’s break it down a bit. You’ll need to:
- chop the greens, tomatoes, cucumbers
- roast vegetables
- shred chicken
- prepare and blend the ingredients for the creamy dressing together
And then, comes time to toss. Right after is the time to enjoy!
How To Meal Prep This Salad
Yes, you can meal prep the salad too! You’ve got two options:
- In meal prep containers. Prepare chicken, roasted vegetables and cashew sauce. Wash and chop the raw vegetables but keep cherry tomatoes whole. Place ingredients into meal prep containers, keeping the dressing separate. Toss when it’s time to eat!
- Build salad jars: Again follow the process of making the chicken, roasted vegetables and cashew sauce. Wash, air dry and chop the vegetables (keep tomatoes whole). Fill jars by starting with the dressing on the bottom, then chicken, roasted vegetables, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and greens come on top. When it’s time to assemble transfer to a bowl, add salt and pepper if needed and toss.
And that’s it, you’ve got yourself a tasty dairy-free chicken salad that is perfect for lunch during the week. The recipe makes 2 servings, so make sure to adjust to whatever your needs are.
Why Is This Chicken Salad Healthy?
When you break it down there are many great things about this salad. It’s not just the protein from the chicken. We’ve got fiber, vitamins A, C, K and multiple B vitamins from the raw and roasted vegetables that are all essential for a functioning human body.
Then we’ve got the special antioxidants, the plant polyphenols coming from the vegetables and the cashews that help us fight disease, improve cell repair and prevent oxidative stress and inflammation.
Then, finally, comes the fact that this salad has a low glycemic index. A low glycemic diet is linked to lower risk of heart disease and cancer, as well as weight loss and better blood sugar levels.
More Healthy Shredded Chicken Recipes
I hope you enjoy this easy healthy shredded chicken salad and if you do, make sure to check out these other shredded chicken recipes:
- Anti-Inflammatory Cauliflower and Chicken Soup
- Healthy Chicken Tostadas
- Mashed Avocado Chicken Salad